netflix, for years, was notoriously tight-lipped about his audience. But after a few years of declining statistics for some of its programming, Netflix launched a website in mid-November. charts of his most popular shows and movies of the last week, as well as a world ranking of its most watched titles of all time.
The winners, updated every week and classified by total number of hours subscribers spent watching, represent an unprecedented wealth of data on what’s popular on Netflix. The site details the most popular titles of the past week, not only around the world, but also in over 90 countries. And it’s meant to help subscribers like you get a better sense of the biggest hits from the world’s biggest subscription streaming service, in hopes you’ll discover something new to watch.
The company updates its “Weekly Top 10 on Netflix” every Tuesday, based on the previous week’s Monday-Sunday viewing hours for original and licensed titles. The Netflix ranking is divided into top 10 rankings for English Movies, English TV, Non-English Language Movies, and Non-English Language TV.
A ranking of the most-watched titles of all time also lives on the site, detailing the shows that have the most viewing hours in their first 28 days of release. Netflix also divides them into English Movies, English TV, Non-English Language Movies, and Non-English Language TV – but for our charts below, we don’t distinguish between languages.
If a new season releases its two-part episodes on different dates, Netflix counts the watch time of the first volume episodes during their first 28 days, then it counts the watch time of the second volume episodes during their first 28 days. These all-time rankings are also updated every Tuesday, whenever programs hit the charts during the previous week.
Why the all-time ranking did not Ginny and Georgia (again) or you people
Shows and movies need sustained popularity in many countries to enter the most-watched charts of all time. That means you can see titles with “Top 10” badges in Netflix’s app for days, but they still might not generate enough watch hours to make the all-time chart.
For example, the second season of Ginny & Georgia, a mother-daughter comedy/drama series, racked up a mind-boggling 486.2 million hours in its first 25 days of release, and there are still a few days left in its release window. 28 days. to generate viewing time. You People, a romantic comedy, generated 55.7 million viewing hours in its first three days alone.
But TV shows need nearly half a billion hours to make the all-time list, and movies need more than 200 million.
Even the most popular shows and movies need several weeks and sustained attention to accumulate enough.
Netflix’s Most-Watched Movies, Ranked
Here are Netflix’s most-watched movies, based on Netflix’s own reports of total hours watched in the first 28 days of each title’s release. All changes are in bold.
- red noticean action movie with Dwayne Johnson, Gal Gadot and Ryan Reynolds – 364 million hours.
- Don’t look upa dark comedy with an all-star cast – 359.8 million hours.
- bird boxa post-apocalyptic film starring Sandra Bullock — 282 million hours.
- Glass onion: a mystery at loggerheadsa whodunit sequel – 279.7 million hours.
- The gray mana CIA action thriller – 253.9 million hours.
- The Adam Projecta sci-fi adventure comedy — 233.2 million hours.
- Extractionan action movie with Chris Hemsworth – 231.3 million hours.
- purple heartsa romantic drama about a musician marrying a Marine – 228.7 million hours.
- the unforgivablea drama about a woman rebuilding her life after prison – 214.7 million hours.
- The Irishmana period mafia epic directed by Martin Scorsese – 214.6 million hours.
Former top movies that were eliminated from Netflix’s official all-time charts:
- The Kissing Booth 2a teen romantic comedy sequel – 209.3 million hours.
- 6 Undergrounda Michael Bay explosion festival with Ryan Reynolds – 205.5 million hours.
- Spenser Confidentialan action comedy starring Mark Wahlberg — 197.3 million hours.
- Enola Holmesa period detective film — 189.9 million hours.
- army of the deada heist set in a zombie apocalypse – 187 million hours.
- The old guardan action thriller with Charlize Theron – 186 million hours.
- Murder Mysterya comedy starring Adam Sandler and Jennifer Aniston – 170 million hours.
Netflix seems to have never released a non-English language film that has generated enough viewing hours to make it into the overall most-watched rankings. But other widely watched non-English language films on Netflix have included:
- Trolla Norwegian monster film – 155.6 million hours.
- blood red skya German-British action horror film set during a plane hijacking – 110.5 million hours.
- The platforma Spanish social commentary wrapped in a horror film – 108.1 million hours.
- In the west, nothing is newa German war drama – 101.4 million hours.
- black craba Swedish apocalyptic war thriller starring Noomi Rapace – 94.1 million hours.
- Through my windowa Spanish teen romance – 92.4 million hours.
- Disassemblya French detective comedy – 78.6 million hours.
- below zeroa Spanish action thriller about an escape from a prison transport vehicle – 78.3 million hours.
- My name is Vendettaan Italian crime/action film — 68.7 million hours.
- love adultsa Danish thriller about an extramarital affair – 67.3 million hours.
Highest-ranking former non-English films that were knocked out of the non-English top 10 include:
- rogue towna French action thriller about an unorthodox cop team – 66.6 million hours.
- Carter, a South Korean action thriller about a man who wakes up with no memories and a voice in his ear – 65.4 million hours
- The Forgotten Battlea Dutch WWII film – 60.9 million hours.
- Restlessa French action thriller — 59.1 million hours.
- Lost bulletlike a Fast & Furious movie but in French — 58.3 million hours
- spoiled childrena French comedy about wealthy siblings brought in to earn a living – 56.9 million hours.
- #Alivea South Korean film about a gamer’s attempt to survive the zombie apocalypse – 54.6 million hours.
- Space sweepersa South Korean space western with a child-armed android – 53.3 million hours
- The Last Mercenarya French action film starring Jean-Claude Van Damme — 52.1 million hours.
- Just another Christmasa Brazilian Christmas comedy – 48 million hours.
Netflix’s Most-Watched TV Shows, Ranked
Here are Netflix’s most-watched series, based on Netflix’s own reports of total hours watched in the first 28 days of each title’s release. Again, if a new season releases its two-volume episodes on different dates, Netflix counts the watch time of the first volume episodes during their first 28 days, then it counts the watch time of the second volume episodes during their first 28 days.
Any change in ranking from the previous week is in bold.
- squid game (season 1), a Korean survival thriller – 1.65 billion hours.
- stranger things (season 4), a retro sci-fi series — 1.35 billion hours.
- Wednesdaya supernatural dark comedy about coming of age – 1.24 billion hours
- Dahmera series of true crime serial killers – 856.2 million hours.
- Money theft (part 5), a thriller in Spanish — 792.2 million hours.
- Bridgerton (Season 2), a period romance — 656.3 million hours.
- Bridgerton (season 1) – 625.5 million hours.
- Money Heist (part 4) – 619 million hours.
- stranger things (season 3), a retro sci-fi series — 582.1 million hours.
- Lucifer (season 5), a fantasy police procedural – 569.5 million hours.
- we are all deada Korean zombie thriller set in a high school – 560.8 million hours.
- the witcher (season 1), a fantasy series — 541 million hours.
- Invent Annaa true-crime about a fake socialite limited series – 511.9 million hours
- 13 reasons why (Season 2), a controversial teen drama – 496.1 million hours.
Past top shows that were eliminated from Netflix’s official all-time charts:
- ozark (season 4), a crime drama series – 491.1 million hours.
- The Witcher (Season 2) – 484.3 million hours.
- 13 Reasons Why (Season 1) – 475.6 million hours
- Housemaida limited series about a young mother fleeing violence – 469.1 million hours.
- You (season 3), a psychological thriller — 467.8 million hours.
- You (Season 2) — 457.4 million hours.
- Stranger Things (Season 2) – 427.4 million hours.
- Money Heist (part 3) – 426.4 million hours.
- Sex education (season 3), a British teen comedy-drama – 419 million hours.
- Ginny and Georgia (season 1), a comedy-drama about a young mother and her children – 381 million hours.
- Extraordinary Prosecutor Woo (season 1), a South Korean legal drama — 402.5 million hours.
- Coffee with Aroma de Mujer (season 1), a Colombian telenovela — 326.9 million hours.
- Lupine (Part 1), a French heist show — 316.8 million hours.
- Elite (Season 3), a Spanish teen drama – 275.3 million hours.
- Who killed Sara? (season 1), a Mexican mystery thriller – 266.4 million hours.
- Elite (Season 4) – 257.1 million hours.
- queen of flow (season 2), a Colombian musical telenovela — 230.3 million hours.
- Lupine (part 2) — 214.1 million hours.
- dark desire (season 1), a Mexican drama thriller — 213 million hours.