If you plan on taking your MacBook for a walk and want the battery to last all day, you can turn on Power Saving Mode. Low Power Mode automatically reduces screen brightness and system clock speed, thereby reducing power usage and conserving battery power.
We’ve shown you how to enable Power Saving Mode in macOS Monterey. Apple has redesigned System Preferences in macOS Ventura, but power saving mode remains. Here’s how to turn it on.
- Completion time: 2 minutes
- Materials required: macOS Ventura
System battery settings
Open System settings in the Apple menu, and then in the window that appears, scroll in the left column until you see Battery. Click on it.
Power saving mode settings
At the top of the main section of the window is the power saving mode setting. You have four options in the pop-up menu to choose from:
- NeverA: The MacBook is working normally.
- Always: The MacBook runs with brightness and a slightly lower system clock, whether the MacBook is connected to a network or not.
- Battery only: When the MacBook is not connected to the network, the brightness and system clock are reduced. When the MacBook is connected to the network, the MacBook operates at normal brightness and clock speed.
- Power adapter only: When the MacBook is connected to the network, the brightness and the system clock are reduced. When the MacBook is not connected to a network, the MacBook operates at normal brightness and clock speed.
Select the option you want, then close System Preferences.
Low Power Mode
When the Mac is in low power mode, Battery System Preferences will show that it is on and when it fires.
Check Low Power Mode
To quickly check the status of Power Saving Mode in macOS Ventura, you need to have the battery icon displayed in the menu bar. If it is, you can click the icon and see if Low Power Mode is enabled.
If the battery is not in the menu bar, you can make it appear by going to System settings > Control centerthen scroll down to Battery section and press the switch to Show in menu bar.
If you want a quick way to turn power saving mode on or off, you must install a third-party utility. Developer Jordy Bruin has created a menu bar utility called Cooldown that can do just that – and it’s free.